Access Specialist I
Apply now with our Online Employment Application.
Department: Access Services
Division: Medical/24-Hour Services
Supervised By: 24-Hour Services Director
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt/Regular/Full-Time/Part-time/Relief
Effective Date: July 2013
Provide both direct and indirect care to Center clients within limits of training and credentialing under supervision.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Assist in conducting initial evaluations: assess client's presenting problems including the administration of selected mental status exam items.
- Provide client education within area of expertise and limits of credentials.
- Attend meetings as appropriate and meet regularly with supervisor to exchange pertinent information and receive supervision.
- Maintain a high level of ethical conduct regarding confidentiality, dual-relationships and professional stature.
- Assist area Program Assistants with various clerical tasks: compose, edit and type routine correspondence, reports, and similar documents; enter and retrieve data from personal computer or terminal as needed; assist with compilation of data for various reports; assist in maintaining staff time reporting sheets; may participate in the collection of client fees and be responsible for cash payments until end of business day; assist with billing/fees inquiries; may retrieve clinical charts daily from records department and prepare services rendered slips as needed; answer telephone, taking routine messages as necessary; screen calls; respond to routine inquiries.
- Assist with answering inquiring phone calls, respond to request for information/referral sources and route calls as appropriate.
- Complete intake and/or registration on all telephone. Obtain appointment for client. Instruct client and/or family regarding necessary documentation to bring to first appointment (such as check stub or insurance).
- Notify out-patient therapist of overnight and week-end contacts by their clients and inpatient unit of Emergency Alerts.
- Complete assessments through telemed with hospitals that have credentialed access specialists.
- Gather clinical information and staff with on-call psychiatrist.
- Maintain Access Daily Log.
- Ability to demonstrate competent use of Profiler.
- Assist clinician with screening emergencies, and assist with records.
- Serve as a resource to the staff and community regarding available mental health services, referral sources, emergency detention procedures, etc.
- Participate in cross-training with other Access Center Staff.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree in psychology/related field
- Oral and written communication skills.
- Interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrated competence and experience in assessment and treatment planning of medical and psychiatric patients in both inpatient and outpatient settings.
- Knowledge of the natural history of mental disorders and the relevant biological and socio-cultural factors.
- Understanding and knowledgeable of the range of treatment needed and appropriate utilization of available resources.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations
- Maintain current American Red Cross CPR and First Aid certifications.
- Maintain current crisis prevention/intervention certification.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions
Work may cause emotional stress involving working with people who are often distraught and unpredictable, requiring decisions relative to dangerousness and suicide potential, competency, and/or reality contact.
Work is normally performed in a comfortable physical environment within a scheduled daily regimen with steady time pressure, multifaceted tasks, and ongoing interruptions.
Conditions of Employment
- Completion of tuberculin screening no later than three days prior to first day of employment and annually thereafter
- Completion of a pre-employment drug screening and completion of post-employment drug or alcohol tests upon reasonable suspicion of use.
- Completion of Center-wide orientation and ALL required paperwork prior to reporting for work
- Completion of HCI training modules and Professional Development Plan.
- Completion of Crisis Prevention Intervention (CPI) Training
- Completion of CPR/First Aid Training
- Demonstrated computer literacy through successful completion of pre-employment testing may be required.
- Completion of HCI Commitment to Quality training
- Attendance at all mandatory staff development and training
- Successful completion of a six month on the job orientation period
- Participation in payroll electronic deposit
- Adherence to Compliance Program Plan
- Satisfactory reference and background investigation checks.
Job descriptions are not intended, and should not be construed, to be exhaustive lists of all responsibilities, skills, efforts or working conditions associated with a job. They are meant to be accurate reflections of the principal job elements essential for making fair pay decisions about jobs.