Apply now with our Online Employment Application.
Department: Satellite Services & Vigo County Services
Supervised By: Medical Director
FLSA Status: Exempt/Regular/Full-time
Effective Date: July 2013
Provide medical psychiatric services and advise Center-wide to achieve quality clinical care for Center patients.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Obtain patient's medical and physical histories and other information pertinent to treatment needs.
- Assess patient's mental status and medical needs.
- Direct the formulation of patient's psychiatric treatment plans; monitor patient's progress and modify treatment plans as indicated; communicate medical orders to nursing staff as necessary.
- Provide direct patient psychotherapy and chemotherapy services.
- Participate in case disposition and follow-up planning.
- Ability to demonstrate competent use of Profiler
- Maintain records and provide documentation associated with services delivered.
- Provide medical case supervision and consultation to Center staff.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with care providers and others associated with patient's well being.
- Provide on-call coverage on a rotational basis as assigned.
- Interact with patients in a therapeutic and responsible manner. Interactions with participants must be individualized, positive, age-appropriate, reciprocal, constructive and non-confrontive.
- Maintain a high level of ethical conduct regarding confidentiality relationships, and associations with participants.
- Interact appropriately with all visitors, family members, and other service providers.
- Conduct all events, activities, and trips in a safe, yet therapeutic manner, and employ effective measures regarding risk management, emergency procedures, and non-violent crisis intervention.
- Participate in continuing education activities to maintain knowledge and skills in areas related to mental health treatment.
- Attend and participate fully in meetings as assigned and meet regularly with supervisor to exchange pertinent information and receive supervision.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Completion of four years of post doctoral training in an approved psychiatry residency (or it's equivalent) and board eligibility or certification in Psychiatry.
- Knowledge and skills in the practice of medicine and psychiatry, preferably as applicable to community mental health setting and services to children and adolescents.
- Skills in diagnosis, assessment, treatment planning, case management, and application of DSM IV methodology.
- Skills in provision of psychotherapy and chemotherapy.
- Familiarity with inpatient and outpatient treatment modalities.
- Time management skills.
- Effective written and oral communication skills.
- Effective interpersonal skills.
- Willingness to use personal transportation in work capacity.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations
- Licensed and board certified or board eligible in general psychiatry and child/adolescent psychiatry as defined by federal and Indiana State law.
- Valid driver's license in accordance with motor vehicle policy.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the essential duties of this job, the employee may be required to climb and/or lift. Exposure to disturbed and potentially aggressive patients is possible. Stress ranges from minimum to intense depending on situation.
Most of the work of the psychiatrist is done directly with consumers in Center facilities, which provides a comfortable physical environment with consumers. On occasion the psychiatrist may see patients either in their homes or in community settings. Office and program areas may not be air-conditioned and could become overly warm in summer months. Work conditions, such as cleanliness, comfort and safety, may vary widely. Evening and/or weekend work may be required. Smoking is permitted only outside of program and office sites. Safety management and crisis intervention decisions and actions are dependent on staff present. A crisis could arise which may be stress producing and/or exhausting.
Conditions of Employment
- Completion of tuberculin screening no later than three days prior to the new employee's first work day and annually thereafter.
- Completion of a pre-employment drug screening and completion of post-employment drug or alcohol tests upon reasonable suspicion of use.
- Completion of Center-wide new employee orientation and ALL required paperwork prior to reporting to work.
- Demonstrated computer literacy through successful completion of pre-employment testing may be required.
- Completion of HCI Commitment to Quality training
- Attendance at all mandatory staff development & training.
- Successful completion of a six month on the job orientation period.
- Participation in payroll electronic deposit.
- Adherence to Compliance Program Plan.
- Satisfactory reference and background investigation checks.
- Satisfactory completion of an Indiana Department of Child Services National Criminal fingerprinting background check, Indiana State Criminal History Check, Sex and Violent Offender Registry check, Child Protection Services History check and Local law enforcement agency/county sheriff check at the time of hire and every four years (or at contract renewal if more than one year has passed since last fingerprinting) for any employee that has direct contact on a regular and continuing basis with children supervised by DCS
Job descriptions are not intended, and should not be construed, to be exhaustive lists of all responsibilities, skills, efforts or working conditions associated with a job. They are meant to be accurate reflections of the principle job elements essential for making fair pay decisions about jobs.