Direct Skills Technician
Division: Satellite Services & Vigo County Services
Supervised By: Program Manager
FLSA Status: Non-exempt/Regular/Full-time/Part-time
Effective Date: July 2012
The Direct Skills Technician position provides individual, group or family face-to-face contact for the purpose of the development of skills (i.e., self-care, daily life management, or problem solving skills) directed toward eliminating psychosocial barriers to referrals from HCI therapists, case managers and supervisory staff. Development of skills is provided through structured interventions for attaining goals identified in the individualized integrated care plan and the monitoring of progress in achieving those skills.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Assist families and individuals referred for services.
- Works with supervisory assistance in evaluating possible courses of conduct and makes decisions where there is no opportunity to seek direction.
- Work with clients on a day-to-day basis providing services specified in the treatment plan.
- Provides face to face skill training and mental health interventions to clients in accordance with the treatment plan.
- Assist in assessment of client's strengths and needs and participate in development of individualized treatment plan.
- Provide individual and group activities of daily living.
- Transport clients to and from appointments, groups and other activities.
- Interact with clients in a therapeutic and responsible manner maintaining a high level of ethical conduct regarding confidentiality, dual relationships and standards of care.
- Assist clients with basic housekeeping skills and budgeting.
- Maintain client and program records in accordance with applicable standards regulations, grant requirements, etc.
- Manage crisis and emergency situations involving clients within the scope of competence and obtaining clinical supervision as indicated.
- Schedule must be flexible as some weekend and evening hours may be required.
- Teaching age appropriate life skills training to clients individually or in groups.
- Demonstrate competency and accuracy in utilizing the electronic medical record, recording services, and documenting services
- The ability to take direction and receive clinical supervision from all members of the treatment team
- Ability to demonstrate competent use of Profiler
- Completion of department specific trainings and in-services.
- Perform any other duties as assigned.
- Perform the above listed duties with or without reasonable accommodations.
- High School diploma or equivalent plus two years of paid, voluntary or family behavior health experience OR Associate degree required.
- Indiana drivers license in good standing.
- Flexibility to work any shift preferred.
- Good oral and written communication skills.
- Knowledge and skills in educating clients in daily living skills.
- Observation and decision making skills.
- Experience in implementing group activities helpful.
- Willingness to use reliable personal transportation in work capacity.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations
- Valid driver's license in accordance with Hamilton Center's motor vehicle policy
- Abililty to obtain Chauffeur's license in accordance with HCI motor vehicle policy
- Maintain current crisis prevention/intervention certification.
- Maintain current American Red Cross CPR/1st Aid certification
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to communicate in person or by telephone. The employee must be able to travel to client locations. The employee is frequently required to stand, walk, reach, bend, and sit
- Be able to lift up to 30 pounds
- Stand for long periods of time
- Drives in all types of weather
- Assists clients in wheelchairs
- Assists clients walking to/from appointments
- Lifts and carries up to 30 pounds
- Safely loads and unloads clients from vehicles and vans
Most of the work of the Direct Skills Technician is done out in the community with clients. Conditions such as safety, cleanliness and comfort vary widely.
Conditions of Employment
- Satisfactory reference and background investigation checks.
- Satisfactory completion of an Indiana Department of Child Services National Criminal fingerprinting background check, Indiana State Criminal History Check, Sex and Violent Offender Registry check, Child Protection Services History check and Local law enforcement agency/county sheriff check at the time of hire and every four years (or at contract renewal if more than one year has passed since last fingerprinting) for any employee that has direct contact on a regular and continuing basis with children supervised by DCS
- Completion of tuberculin screening no later than three days prior to the new employee's first work day and annually thereafter.
- Completion of a pre-employment drug screening and completion of post-employment drug or alcohol tests upon reasonable suspicion of use.
- Completion of Center-wide new employee orientation and ALL required paperwork prior to reporting to work.
- Completion of HCI OBHP training modules within one year of hire or transfer to OBHP position
- Completion of HCI Commitment to Quality Training.
- Completion of Crisis Prevention Intervention (CPI) Training
- Completion of CPR/First Aid Training
- Demonstrated computer literacy through successful completion of pre-employment testing may be required.
- Completion of HCI training modules and Professional Development Plan.
- Attendance at all mandatory staff development and training.
- Successful completion of a six month on-the-job orientation period.
- Participation in payroll electronic deposit.
- Adherence to Compliance Program Plan
- Successful completion of EMR orientation/ training within the first 30 days of employment.
Job descriptions are not intended, and should not be construed, to be exhaustive lists of all responsibilities, skills, efforts or working conditions associated with a job. They are meant to be accurate reflections of the principle job elements essential for making fair pay decisions about jobs.
Apply now with our Online Employment Application.