Patient Account Representative
Apply now with our Online Employment Application.
Department: Business Office
Supervised By: Director, Records and Billing
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt/Regular/Full-time
Effective Date: July 2013
We exist to provide the highest quality service to our consumers in the areas of billing and collecting of patient accounts. Our goal is to create an atmosphere of friendliness, cooperation and trust in which our staff and consumers will be comfortable discussing monetary matters. Our role is to serve our consumers through sound financial practices, prompt efficient processing of information and adherence to regulations, pollicies, and procedures. We believe in the value and worth of all people and feel they are entitled to respect, honesty, and understanding.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform the daily activities of the Patient Account Representative with little supervision, and be capable of making decisions that are required to carry out the mission of the Business Office. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Process, manage and maintain patient accounts, including all third party payors.
- Manage all account collections and payment arrangements.
- Analyze, identify, and resolve problems pertaining to EOB's, billing errors and outstanding reports.
- Define new methods and services to enhance the quality of internal processes in order to reduce departmental errors.
- Assess and resolve client credit-balance statements.
- Process all commercial insurance payment applications, including Medicare, Medicaid, and third party payment applications.
- Manage overpayment refund process for all submitted claims.
- Manage multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- High School Diploma or equivalent.
- One-year experience: medical billing procedures; accounting principles; data entry and retrieval.
- Working knowledge of collection policies, practices, laws and applicable regulations, regarding Medicaid, Medicare and major commercial insurance agencies.
- Excellent computer skills, Microsoft Excel and Microsoft Outlook experience strongly preferred.
- Uni/Care experience strongly preferred.
- Basic skills: office/clerical, math, written and oral communications.
- Ability to use basic office equipment: i.e., copy / fax machine, calculator, etc.
- Excellent customer service skills.
- Willingness to use personal transportation in work capacity.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations
- Valid driver's license in accordance with HCI motor vehicle policy.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The majority of the work is performed at a desk. Bending, or standing on small ladders is necessary for filing or retrieval of files. Also, some lifting of boxes may be required. Some tasks may require long periods of sitting. Other tasks may require prolonged periods of data entry.
The majority of the work is performed at a desk. The work area is spacious, clean and tastefully decorated. Some functions associated with position may be stressful due to deadlines and quotas to be met. Access to equipment and records to perform all duties is readily available.
Conditions of Employment
- Completion of tuberculin screening no later than three days prior to first day of employment and annually thereafter
- Completion of a pre-employment drug screening and completion of post-employment drug or alcohol tests upon reasonable suspicion of use.
- Completion of Center-wide orientation and ALL required paperwork prior to reporting for work
- Demonstrated computer literacy through successful completion of pre-employment testing may be required.
- Completion of HCI Commitment to Quality training
- Completion of Essential Learning requirements
- Attendance at all mandatory staff development and training
- Successful completion of a six month on the job orientation period
- Participation in payroll electronic deposit
- Adherence to Compliance Program Plan
- Satisfactory reference and background investigation checks.
Job descriptions are not intended, and should not be construed, to be exhaustive lists of all responsibilities, skills, efforts or working conditions associated with a job. They are meant to be accurate reflections of the principle job elements essential for making fair pay decisions about jobs.