Apply now with our Online Employment Application.
Supervised By: Accounting Director
FLSA Status: Exempt/Regular/Full-time
Effective Date: June 2014
The staff accountants are responsible for a multitude of accounting functions for Hamilton Center, Inc. The positions require excellent communication skills, computer literacy, the ability to prioritize tasks and work independently, and a thorough understanding of accounting principles.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Serve as a mentor to the clerical staff members, provide backup support in their absence, and aid in establishing new processes.
- Maintain fixed asset records by creating depreciation schedules, processing purchases and disposals, reconciling general ledger accounts, and safeguarding assets through tagging and logging vehicle titles.
- Compile property documentation, safeguard documents, and prepare property tax and exemption reports for all property owned and occupied by Hamilton Center, Inc.
- Develop, analyze, calculate, and prepare the appropriate documentation to journal entry allocations, adjustments, and corrections into the Quantum accounting system.
- Completes interfaces from the Profiler system and the Accounts Payable and Payroll modules of Quantum on a monthly basis.
- Maintain control logs for the creation of all new general journal accounts, fiscal entities, and financial statement setup.
- Maintain monthly reconciliations for various balance sheet accounts (payroll liabilities, prepaid accounts, etc.).
- Compile information from Profiler, the daily cash receipts, the bank, and the Quantum accounting system to reconcile the general ledger account balance for each bank account to the bank balance.
- Transfer funds from the outreach location bank accounts to the main operating/investment account on a quarterly basis to maximize earnings.
- Maintain a register of CD's and annuities that the company holds as a component of the investment portfolio, tracking maturity dates, calculating interest, and reconciling to the general ledger.
- Organize bi-annual physical inventory of all HCI fixed assets subject to audit by planning timeframes for inventory of the Main Center and CAS, disseminating information to the outreach locations, selecting random locations for audit, and compiling information to safeguard assets.
- Generate financial statements in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles and prepare board packets which include specialized financial reports.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Assist with the development of the center budget.
- Ensure all mandatory reporting is completed timely, including but not limited to IRS reporting, state of Indiana reporting, and any grant or contract financial reporting.
- Bachelors' degree in Accounting or Bachelor's degree in Business with emphasis in Accounting.
- Knowledge and skills in basic accounts payable procedures, basic payroll procedures, and basic accounts receivable procedures are important for this position.
- The position requires reading and good written and verbal communication skills for interaction with vendors and center staff.
- Use of decimals and percentages and other basic math skills are necessary.
- Basic computer knowledge, Microsoft software, and typing or keyboarding is required.
- Visual skills to perform typing and data entry are necessary.
- Willingness to use personal transportation in work capacity.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations
- Valid driver's license in accordance with motor vehicle policy.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The majority of the work is performed at a desk with 50 to 60 percent of work time at a computer terminal. The work area is often noisy due to the number of varied departments in the same office space. The work is cyclical in nature resulting in high pressure times at month and year end.
The majority of the work is performed at a desk. The work is often disruptive since a heavy traffic flow results from the number of departments located in the same general area.
Conditions of Employment
- Completion of tuberculin screening no later than three days prior to first day of employment and annually thereafter
- Completion of a pre-employment drug screening and completion of post-employment drug or alcohol tests upon reasonable suspicion of use.
- Completion of Center-wide orientation and ALL required paperwork prior to reporting for work
- Demonstrated computer literacy through successful completion of pre-employment testing may be required.
- Completion of HCI Commitment to Quality Training
- Attendance at all mandatory staff development and training
- Successful completion of a six month on the job orientation period
- Participation in payroll electronic deposit
- Adherence to Compliance Program Plan
- Satisfactory reference and background investigation checks.
Job descriptions are not intended, and should not be construed, to be exhaustive lists of all responsibilities, skills, efforts or working conditions associated with a job. They are meant to be accurate reflections of the principle job elements essential for making fair pay decisions about jobs.