Apply now with our Online Employment Application.
Supervised By: Accounting Director
FLSA Status: Non-exempt/Regular/Full-time
Effective Date: July 2014
The primary responsibilities of the Accounting Clerk will be the receipt of cash, checks and electronic transfers for Hamilton Center, Inc. as well as responsibilities related to Accounts Payable and Payroll. The position requires the ability to work independently and to prioritize tasks.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Compile the daily deposit and electronic funds transfers to maximize earnings, to complete the daily cash logs for the Business Office as an accounting of patient payments collected, to assist in the bank reconciliation by the staff accountants, and to record all other income received by Hamilton Center, Inc.
- Coordinate deposits of the outreach locations to assure that internal controls are adhered to by the various offices in accounting for funds of the organization. Provide guidance, update forms, and relay procedures to the outreach locations assisting them in properly depositing funds and recording cash receipts in Profiler.
- Accumulate information for the creation of the cash receipts spreadsheets that are used to generate the journal entries for recording patient payments and other income at month end.
- Summarize special billing invoice status using the Access program to monitor and report invoice date, amount, payment receipts, and aging.
- Summarize grant and donation cash receipts by utilizing an Excel spreadsheet to assist in monitoring of funding sources.
- Secure electronic transmission of funds from third party payers and contractual entities as allowable.
- Track utility payments for the Center using an excel spreadsheet, import cell phone and data card billing information from software provided by the vendor to generate accounts payable vouchers for payment, and work with the Operations Department on allocation of costs.
- Coordinate credit card machinery and service to all locations within the Center.
- Coordinate conference registration process by tracking attendance, communicating with staff, vouchering payments to employees and vendors, and following up on outstanding advances.
- Review and update Accounting Department Operations Manual procedures that relate to the Accounts Receivable function and processing conferences.
- Maintain the filing and storage of Accounting Department retained documents by logging all stored boxes, coordinating movement from the Main Center to Ft. Harrison storage, and marking boxes for disposal.
- Coordinates ordering for internal and external supplies needed by the Accounting Department, receiving all order goods, and organizing all stored supplies.
- Reconcile cleared checks for the HCI operating and payroll bank accounts.
- Review and update Accounting Department Operations Manual procedures that relate to the Compile and process information tied to Personnel Action Forms (PAF), Benefit Summary Sheets, Tax Forms, electronic deposit pre-notification forms and PTO conversion/gifting forms.
- Process all income exceptions (resident doctors, on call, PTO payout, transcription, shift differential, educational assistance, loan payments, client payroll, short-term disability, special and spot bonus pay, etc.).
- Assure accuracy and non-duplication, recalculate, track by employee and pay period, and determine that appropriate approval and coding for employee travel expense reports is included prior to entering expense reports via the payroll time transaction deduction process for payment.
- Verify PTO reports against time sheets and exempt reports to assure that PTO is paid correctly, that additional PTO is accrued correctly, and that employees are notified in the event of reaching maximum threshold.
- Process payroll on a biweekly basis following established internal controls of verifying and entering time transactions, generating direct deposit advises and checks, transferring electronic data to the bank for payment, transferring intercompany funds to cover payroll, and distributing payment forms to employees.
- Monitor updates to health, life, and other payroll deduction rates. Generate health and life insurance billings monthly.
- Process payroll tax liability and benefit deduction payments utilizing reports from the Quantum accounting system to verify, calculate, vouch, and submit telephone and electronic payments or request checks for other payments.
- Compile data throughout the month to aid in the creation, calculation, or allocation of totals through journal entry into the general ledger.
- Representative Payee function, DSI and C&E Invoicing.
- Assist the accounting department as time permits or during critical times.
- Provide backup for other accounting department staff as needed.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Sort daily incoming departmental mail, endorse checks and date stamp accounts payable mail. Distribute to the appropriate staff members.
- Perform initial vendor set up and vendor maintenance to include coordinating with a staff accountant to obtain W-9's for vendors requiring 1099's.
- Prepare the voucher packet by assuring that all necessary documentation is present including invoices/statements, packing slips, receipts, purchase orders, and internal forms.
- Verify all purchases have been properly authorized and that coding is valid.
- Follow up on problems with both vendors and center staff.
- Prepare the voucher for entry into the Quantum accounting system, enter the data, and incorporating the necessary internal controls, assure accuracy of the entry.
- Perform a weekly check run on Tuesday and issue manual checks as required.
- File paid invoices and check copies alphabetically by vendor.
- Conduct a biannual audit of the Open Item report and follow up on findings or correct any errors found.
- Maintain vendor charge cards used by staff for HCI purchases, overseeing their proper distribution and return.
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- The position requires reading and good written and verbal communication skills for interaction with center staff.
- Use of decimals and percentages and other basic math skills are necessary.
- Basic computer knowledge, Microsoft software, and typing or keyboarding is required.
- Knowledge of the accounts receivable system will be learned on-the-job in approximately two weeks.
- Visual skills to perform typing and data entry are necessary.
- Prior experience in Accounts Payable, Accounts Receivable and Payroll is required.
- Willingness to use personal transportation in work capacity.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations
- Valid driver's license in accordance with motor vehicle policy.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Must be able to lift 25 pounds
- Prolonged periods of sitting or standing
- Prolonged periods of data entry
The majority of the work is performed at a desk. The work is cyclical in nature resulting in high pressure times at month and year end.
Conditions of Employment
- Completion of tuberculin screening no later than three days prior to first day of employment and annually thereafter
- Completion of a pre-employment drug screening and completion of post-employment drug or alcohol tests upon reasonable suspicion of use.
- Completion of Center-wide orientation and ALL required paperwork prior to reporting for work
- Demonstrated computer literacy through successful completion of pre-employment testing may be required.
- Completion of HCI Commitment to Quality Training
- Completion of HCI Trauma-Informed Care
- Attendance at all mandatory staff development and training
- Successful completion of a six month on the job orientation period
- Participation in payroll electronic deposit
- Adherence to Compliance Program Plan
- Satisfactory reference and background investigation checks.
Job descriptions are not intended, and should not be construed, to be exhaustive lists of all responsibilities, skills, efforts or working conditions associated with a job. They are meant to be accurate reflections of the principle job elements essential for making fair pay decisions about jobs.